Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Just Two Quick Points


Two quick points of interest I feel most will agree with: Transitions are the worst, and I need around 42 hours in a day rather than 24.

     We’ll come back to that. First off I have to say I am thankful for where I am, what God has me doing, and every detail of it that could be listed. Colossions 3:15 ends with this command after telling Christians to let the peace of Christ rule our hearts, “And be thankful.” I think this command was given because God knows how ill-spirited mankind was going to be about the little nuances in life that can be called “curveballs.” I can lose sight of how blessed I am to be in such a favorable season of life that I will complain about traffic, odd location, living out of a bag, or any number of things that are what I feel C.S. Lewis would refer to as “bloody irritating.”
     
     Okay, generous reader, I’ll be even more specific and be a little vulnerable. Why not? It’s Tuesday night, I’ll give it a spin. Getting from one place to another in an unfamiliar city can be really defeating. Back home, or even in the whole state, I can get around as if on auto-pilot and not really have to think about it. Up here near D.C I have to resort to a GPS daily almost, and constantly watch for road signs and trust iffy directions. Eating becomes a strategic plan of attack instead of relaxation because I don’t know where places are, or if a place I want to eat is around here. Once again, Google maps are recruited, and I think we all can attest that Google often has a mind of its own. Working out is straight up lonely. I don’t mind working out alone, but motivation and conversation are big help. Heck, there are hardly even strangers in the gym. Most of the time, I have the gym to myself (although the gym is pretty legit). Speaking of lonely (I say this half kidding) it is an odd reality not having a friend to call on up here and just say, “Hey bro, NBA Finals are on, pizza at my place?” or “Yeah I know I am an idiot, but can you help me do this real quick?” Of course I have my pastors, but they’re also bosses with families. I almost feel intrusive or incompetent if I just don’t get it done myself. That aspect pans itself out more times than not; as an only child I am use to being alone, and enjoy the quiet. I more times than not just look at myself and say, “Suck it up, Thig,” and move on.

     One more and I’ll stop whining. I’ve had to move since moving up here. A little fun fact about Thig (yes, that is the last time I refer to myself in third person), I am very comparable to a gypsy in my skill of packing up and moving. Kansas’ song “Wayward Son” was written with me in mind. However, one can only move so many times before the “new” wears off of that dog and pony act pretty quick. This is the part in my blog where I transition to how blessed I am. I was living in the basement of our church planting pastor Clint Clifton (@dirtyclint for my twitter fam) for the first week of the internship. Before I go further, I adore their family. All four of their kids are hilarious balls of energy, his wife, Mrs. Jennifer, was perfectly hospitable, and Dirty C, as I like to call him, and I share laughs all the time. He had some family come into town and I was simply to spend a few days at another member of the churches house. Long story short it has worked out that I am just moving in with them for the summer, and it is just tiresome on top of getting all my work done.
Within all of these minor issues, which I turn into Titanic-sinking, glacier sized worries, God has been gracious enough to show me why I can still obey the command, “And be thankful.” The family I moved in, the Chatman’s, have been so helpful, thoughtful, and hospitable to say the least in my transition. I have the entire basement to myself with a good sized bed. Their son, who is a freshman in college, has been a good friend to me. I have seen Mr. Alex, the father of the house, put on a display of some excellent parenting in the face of some tough issues that a father has to face (literally I was caught in the middle of the conversation). Another grace that I have had is the council of two phenomenal, gospel driven pastors. Colby, the teaching pastor, has been a great friend as well as teacher during my stay here. He is very intentional about grooming me and maturing me into a man that is capable of leading a church, and we have enjoyed several laughs along the way (most of which involve some form of slight on my southern draw). Clint has been teaching me the cutting edge techniques involving successful church planting. Flat out, this church is like nothing I have ever seen. They bring a whole new meaning to discipling the members of their church. Speaking of members, almost every member at Pillar Church has opened up their homes, wallets, and time to me in effort to welcome me and make me feel at home. Jack Catalano in particular has been a real pleasure to get to know. He has this Bostonian accent, and real flavor for life that makes everything laughable, and constantly is in prayer to God. I love that guy.

     On top of all these humbling blessings God has pointed out, I have also been blessed by so many prayers, texts, and kind words from back home. Shout out to Katelyn and Billy for the care package! That was the most thoughtful, caring thing anyone could have done. That alone makes me want to run back to exit 116 Statesboro, Georgia and get to work doing ministry with you guys, and I am more than excited about what God has in store for the fall.
All of that said, it is only week 2 of my internship and I see more and more how dependant I will have to be, because only God can keep me energized, satisfied, joyful, and worth anything up here in Dumfries, Virginia. I am His empty vessel ready to be poured out. Keep me lifted up in prayer, ya’ll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment